en

Themes & Interests | Forum

advertisement
Mahraz Team
Mahraz Dec 21 '18
Hey ya'll,

A seasoned roleplayer might be familiar with the question, "What roleplay themes interest you?" but someone newer to the scene might not share that same savvy feeling. Recently, after a series of changes in my character warehouse in the last few years I realised I have grown in what themes in roleplay genuinely interest me. A lot of the time, it might vary because of the character concept attached to each character in a universe. So, my questions for you guys are a little based around that thought.

What roleplay themes interest you?

If you've been roleplaying for a long time, do you think that your answer now is different than when you first started to roleplay?

What advice do you have for people who are coming into roleplay or feel that even with some time under their belt they don't know that answer or have trouble putting it into words?

Threska Tetherfang Supporter
Threska Tetherfang Dec 21 '18
For me, I'm pretty open to most themes so long as there's OOC discussion. I'll say, "I'm into darker themes," which to me could mean anything from violence to horror. It depends on the setting, character, and mood. I don't mind adult themes and heavy insinuation, and if the story calls for it, the acting out of, but it's not integral to the stories I want to tell or put my character through.

As a relative newbie -- this upcoming January will mark a year since I dipped my toe into the RP water -- I'd say, don't be afraid to build and set boundaries. Don't be afraid to say you don't like how your RP is going with someone, and never be afraid to cut ties if you need to. You will make mistakes and cause drama because it's bound to happen. Learn from it. Grow from it. Also, if you feel your character is stagnating, take them to the lowest point they can go short of death (or death if it's their time to go.) I recently did that with Threska here, and while I explored the dark side of the Alliance to bring her to a breaking point, I have enjoyed watching her rise from the ashes.

Lastly, write! If you're unable to explore the themes and ideas in RP, write them out! I would never ask a player to do what happened to Threska, but I would -- and did -- explore it in my writing in a way that let me understand her better. If there's one thing I've learned so far, what you portray in your RP and what you portray in your writing are going to be similar, but not exactly the same. Use both versions to build your character and to bring them to life.

advertisement
Password protected image
Password protected image
Password protected image